Wednesday, August 14, 2024

New Faces and Memories of Yesteryear

    It was a pleasure to attend the annual CLA show in Lexington KY this past weekend. Eileen and I were so glad to see so many fiends and as usual the after party at the Fennewald Air B&B was off the chain. The fried fish was excellent and I stuffed myself. 

Dillon Householder, Artist 
    
    One of the highlights was a new face in the reenacting/maker scene, Dillon Householder. Dillon hails from Florida and this was his first time attending the show. His items were on display in the new guy section of the show and what an excellent assortment. His silver work is beautiful, quillwork is on point, just a great set of goods for a guy who just recently found this hobby. And it was this meeting that prompted me to get excited and nostalgic. 


    I love when new people come in to the hobby, and I especially love when they're ate up with it to the point that Dillon is. It's fun seeing people discover this wild and crazy hobby that we do. You could tell he found his community. And I watched as the community embraced and encouraged him. Dillon approaches it exactly the way you hope a new guy would. With eyes wide open, with great enthusiasm, with good questions and with a willingness to listen to us "self proclaimed experts." In all seriousness though, it's so often that people coming into the hobby ask for advice over and over and then simply ignore it when given. So it's refreshing. I certainly don't pretend to know everything, but I'm pretty sure Kobuck does. So read his new article in Muzzleloader! It's really awesome! (This message was not paid for or approved by Kobuck)

    As Dillon and I have talked, we talked about this hobby being kind of a weird lifestyle for a lot of us. That it's literally what we wake up thinking about in some capacity, and go to bed thinking about at night. We put on our gear and go for hikes in the woods, or just pull it out and work on it, tweak it etc. For me, it has been a lifestyle starting from my earliest memories....


     Dad started doing living history in the 1970s and from there started a business that has been a staple of the hobby for many years. He had a lot of vision about what he would do as a vendor. He was the first trader to sell out of a marquee to his knowledge. Donlyn Meyers of Smoke and Fire always said it was true. He was the first to bring a wedge tent and set it up at a Western Fur Trade event causing Charlie Hanson of the Fur Trade Museum to exclaim in the middle of a camp full of Tipis and baker lean-tos,  "That's the most accurate tent here." Dad had an eye for detail and it showed in his first store where he sold reproduction clothing, camp gear and accoutrements. He also had a nose for antiques and in the latter half of his trading days he was known for one of kinds, old tools, center seam blankets and a variety of other goods. 

Dads first catalog, 1983

     I was born in 1990 and after some time away from the 18th century side of the hobby, Dad took me to my first Colonia-ish event in June of 1999 when I was 8 years old and from that point on, the 18th century world of reenacting, trekking, and living history has been a dominant force in my life. Meeting people like Dillon pulls you back to those early days of discovery as you watch someone who's learning about this for the first time. 



     I'm always a little sorry for people who find the hobby later in life. It's been so amazing growing up in it, especially as a kid cause your imagination is so open and ready to be stimulated. I can still remember that time so vividly. But at the same time, I am also extremely jealous, because that time of discovery is so cool. I love learning, and I hope I never stop, but that first time you discover something is truly special. 

    To Dillon and all the new people that come after him, enjoy this time. It's the best. 


    

    


No comments:

Post a Comment