Wednesday, August 16, 2017

...small round hat...



Shawnee Warrior takes a young prisoner
"My Dress consisted of a calico shirt, made by an Indian woman without a collar, which reached below the waist; a blanket over my shoulders, tied round the waist with the bark of a tree; a pair of good buckskin leggings, which covered almost the thighs, given me by the great war chief, a pair of moccasins, in which I had pieces of blue cloth to make my step easier; a breech-cloth between my legs; a girdle round my waist; and a small round hat, in which the Indian placed a black ostrich feather by way of ornament (the smaller the hat the more fashionable)." 
-An Account of my Capture by the Shawnee Indians on the River Ohio in 1788 
by Thomas Rideout


Some recent comments on facebook have led me to post some images and descriptions of small brimmed hats in the period. Please take a look at the following.

1775 Map Image

Phineas Meigs Hat, 1760s

 The following images are in the context of sailors, but it shows some good small brimmed hats. All of these from the 1770s.







  A good mix of hats on the backcountry is good, and among them should be included a short brimmed round hat. 

All kinds of hats 


No comments:

Post a Comment